Applications without a resume, cover letter and writing sample(s) will NOT be considered
Wow Science welcomes applications for the position of Grant Writer – Part-time Consultant. We are a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting children’s interest in STEM. Our mission is to “spark, cultivate, and promote children’s interest in STEM.” Wow Science provides a fun, hands-on learning environment where children can explore their capabilities and build a solid foundation for any science, technology, engineering or math field.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Grant Writer is responsible for developing, writing and submitting grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations, and will persuasively communicate Wow Science’s mission and programs to potential organizational funders. The Grant Writer is an essential part of Wow Science’s program leadership team and will assemble and submit grant requests and reports, establish and maintain contact and relationships with foundation contacts, conduct prospect research, and maintain a calendar of submissions and other deadlines. The grant writer will ensure that additional requests by funders after grants are submitted are addressed in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with Executive Director to identify and prioritize funding needs.
- Conduct research to identify funds available.
- Collect, verify and interpret relevant data and statistics.
- Write concise, articulate and persuasive grant proposals and narratives.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop grant budgets and budget narratives.
- Submit grant proposals to grantors.
- Steward relationships with grantors through telephone calls, thank-you letters, and other correspondence.
- Monitor grant-funded programs and projects and submit timely reports on the use of funding.
- Maintain a grant-tracking and report-management system.
- Compile and disseminate information for internal reports.
- Work with Wow Science staff to write and edit other fundraising materials as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three (3) years of experience in non-profit grant writing.
- Commitment to Wow Science’s mission and values.
- High level of computer literacy.
- Experience writing Federal, State, City and/or private foundation grants in the areas of STEM education or youth programs and community development is preferred.
- Experience in non-profit direct services and/or program coordination is highly desirable.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and highly-organized.
- Excellent writing, analytical and research skills
- Outstanding emotional intelligence, communication skills (both oral and written) and excellent computer skills.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, planning, and presentation skills.
- Ability to exercise discretion, maintain confidentiality, handle multiple priorities and use sound judgment.
- Excellent writing, analytical, and research skills.