The Program Coordinator oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of an ongoing program including planning, organizing, staffing, and leading program activities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Coordinator performs a wide range of duties including the following:
Plan the program
- Plan the delivery of the overall program and its activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the program
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support the program
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify areas for improvement
- Develop funding proposals for the program to ensure the continuous delivery of services
Organize the program
- Ensure that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization
- Ensure that program activities comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards
- Develop forms and records to document program activities
Staff the program
- In consultation with the Executive Director, recruit, interview and select well-qualified program staff
- Implement the human resources policies, procedures, and practices of the organization
- Ensure that personnel files for the program are properly maintained and kept confidential
- Establish and implement a performance management process for all program staff
- Engage volunteers for appropriate program activities using established volunteer management practices
Lead the program
- Ensure all staff members receive orientation and appropriate training in accordance with organizational standards
- Supervise program staff by providing direction, input, and feedback
- Communicate with clients and other stakeholders to gain community support for the program and to solicit input to improve the program
- Liaise with other managers (external) to ensure effective and efficient program delivery
- Coordinate the delivery of services among different program activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency
Control the program
- Write reports on the program for management and for funders
- Communicate with funders as outlined in funding agreements
- Ensure that the program operates within the approved budget
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures
- Monitor cash flow projections and report actual cash flow and variance to the Executive Director on a regular basis (monthly/bimonthly)
- Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure that all financial records for the program are up to date
- Ensure financial reports and supporting documentation for funders are prepared as outlined in funding agreements
- Provide required information to have invoices generated and submitted to funders according to the established timelines
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks
- Monitor the program activities on a regular basis and conduct an annual evaluation according to the program evaluation framework
- Report evaluation findings to the Executive Director and recommend changes to enhance the program, as appropriate
- Marketing, Advertising, Journalism, Media or English in a related subject
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge of program management/coordination
- Knowledge of client groups and/or issues related to the program area
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Word processing
- Simple accounting
The Program Coordinator should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information, and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement action plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- 3 to 5 years experience in a related field
- Program Coordinators usually work in an office environment but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to nonstandard workplaces like classrooms.